​​​Immunisation is one of the safest and most effective ways to prevent illness. It also helps to stop the spread of infection and protect other children.

Immunisation from an early age is highly recommended for all children.

When to immunise

The Victorian immunisation schedule lists the vaccines that are given free of charge and at what age. These vaccines are given under the National Immunisation Program and the Victorian funded program.

New vaccines continue to be developed and the schedule might be updated in the future.

Get immunisations for your​ child

See your doctor or local health clinic to have your child immunised. All Victorian local councils run immunisation sessions.

Severe reactions to vaccines are extremely rare. If you are worried about side effects, or if you have been told that immunising your child is not a good idea, discuss this with your nurse or doctor.

Starting child care or kindergarten​ (No Jab No Play)

To have your child's enrolment confirmed at child care or kindergarten, you need to give them a current immunisation history statement. The statement must show your child is up to date with all vaccinations that are due for their age. Or they're up to date with the vaccinations they're able to receive.

This is known as "No Jab No Play".

The immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register is the only document accepted. Letters from GPs or local councils are not accepted.

You can find out more about No Jab No Play on the Better Health Channel.

You must keep your child's vaccinations up to date to receive some family assistance payments. For more information, visit the Australian Department of Human Services or a Centrelink or Medicare Service Centre.

Starting school

By law, your child must have an immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register to enrol in primary school.​

You can read the primary school immunisation requirements

​At secondary school​

​Secondary school students can get free vaccinations. This usually happens in years 7 and 10. The vaccinations​ are given at school and you must consent first.​

Read more about the secondary school vaccination program at

Get an immunisation history statement​

You can print a copy of your child’s immunisation history statement from your myGov account. If you have difficulty getting a copy via your myGov account you can:

  • call Medicare 1800 653 809
  • visit a Medicare or Centrelink office.

If you do not hold a Medicare card you must call the Australian Immunisation Register to request a statement.

If you do not speak English, call an interpreter on 13 14 50, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:45pm.​


VaxOnTime is an app to remind you when immunisations for your children are due. You can:

  • receive reminder notifications leading up to when your child is due for their vaccinations
  • search for a local immunisation provider
  • call and make an appointment for vaccinations or find out when immunisation sessions are being run by your local council
  • add an appointment to your device’s calendar

Download VaxOnTime from the App Store ​

Routine immunisations

Routine childhood immunisations help to protect your child against:

  • diphtheria
  • tetanus
  • whooping cough (pertussis)
  • polio
  • pneumococcal disease
  • meningococcal C disease
  • hepatitis B
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • rotavirus, chickenpox (varicella)
  • measles
  • mumps
  • rubella (German measles)
  • influenza.