School uniforms

​Your child will generally need to wear a school uniform:

  • during school hours
  • travelling to and from school
  • during school activities that are outside school hours.


Each school sets their own rules for school uniforms. You should speak to your school to find out their rules before you enrol.

In Victorian government schools, the school council will decide the rules. This is called the dress code. It includes:

  • if students need to wear a uniform
  • what the uniform is
  • if it's compulsory.

The dress code must:

  • meet human rights and anti-discrimination law
  • include a way to get an exemption from wearing a uniform
  • meet health and safety requirements.

You can read the student dress code guidelines given to schools.

Buy a uniform

Some schools have a uniform supplier or shop where you can buy uniforms. They may also sell uniforms second hand. Speak to your school for more information.

Get help with the cost of school uniforms

There are two ways you can get help with school uniforms:

  1. If you're facing hardship or severe financial difficulties: read the help with school items page​, then speak to your school.
  2. If your child is starting prep or year 7 and is eligible to receive the Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund: follow the steps below.

Uniform help through the C​amps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF)

You will get help with school uniforms if your child is starting prep or year 7 and is eligible for CSEF. State Schools’ Relief will provide basic uniform items or a voucher if your student meets the criteria.​

CSEF has closed for 2018. Details for next year will be available closer to 2019.

What you g​et

For prep students

For students commencing prep in 2018, State Schools' Relief will provide a winter warmer uniform package:

  • 1 x rugby top or windcheater or polo long sleeve
  • 1 x tracksuit pants
  • 1 x pair of shoes (lace up or t-bar or runner/sneaker).
For year 7 students

For students commencing year 7 in 2018, State Schools' Relief will provide:

  • 1 Jumper
  • 1 Pair of shoes (Lace ups or T-bars or sneakers) supplied directly from State Schools' Relief
  • Summer dress or,
  •  trousers and shirt or
  • shorts and shirt

The shirt can be either short-sleeved, long-sleeved or short-sleeved polo.

How to ap​ply

If your child received CSEF previously, you do not need to apply for the same child again.

  1. Apply for CSEF before the closing date if you haven't done so before. This includes all children starting prep. For applications, see: Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund​
  2. Contact the school your child is attending in to request a uniform pack.
  3. Uniform items and vouchers may be given directly to you, or to your school. The school will contact you to pass on the items.


If State Schools' Relief can't supply uniform items directly, you'll receive a voucher to go towards the cost of uniform items. The voucher can be used at your school's uniform shop or an independent uniform retailer.

If you receive a voucher you may need to contribute the difference in value between the voucher and the cost of the items. Expired vouchers cannot be redeemed.