Does my child need a second year of kindergarten?

Your child is eligible for a second year of kindergarten if:

  • your child's teacher has found they have developmental delays in at least two key areas of development, and
  • your child will have better outcomes at kindergarten rather than going to school.

Your child's assessment

During the school year the early childhood teacher will assess your child and plan for their move to school.

There are guidelines that the early childhood teacher will follow to assess your child. These guidelines help the teacher identify your child's needs and goals.

The areas assessed by the early childhood teacher include:

  • self-care (your child's ability to look after themselves sufficiently)
  • ability to speak and/or understand language
  • cognitive (intellectual) development
  • social development – how your child interacts with other children
  • emotional development
  • other factors may also be considered.

Your involvement

It's important that you and the teacher work together to achieve the best outcome for your child.

With your consent, the teacher will:

  • complete the assessment of your child
  • get the support of other early childhood development professionals as needed.

If the teacher believes your child has a developmental delay, they will recommend a second year of kindergarten. They will also send a declaration to us (the Department) and talk to you about your options.

Talk to your kindergarten for advice.

Get an exemption from school

If your child turns six in their first or second year of kindergarten, you must get an exemption from school.