Effective succession planning supports the Department to have a plan in place to ensure that people with the necessary capabilities are available for the most critical roles in the organisation.
Succession planning demonstrates a genuine commitment to develop the existing workforce and ensure that employees have the skills, experience and knowledge to achieve the Departments strategic goals.
The benefits of succession planning include:
- reducing the risks to the Department associated with turnover of staff in critical roles
- providing staff with professional and career development opportunities
- maximising the chances of successfully recruiting to vacant critical roles
- creating and developing a diverse pool of people with the capability to take on critical roles and functions within the Department.
Principles of this process include:
- focusing on a limited number of the most critical roles for the Department
- focusing on ensuring the Department has the capability to deliver on its critical accountabilities
- ensuring that recruitment decisions at the Department continue to be merit based, including recruitment for vacant critical roles
- managing the expectations of people participating in the succession planning process such as the potential successors.
The Department's succession planning model is a cyclical seven step process.
The succession planning process will be complemented by a range of workforce planning activities focussed on preparing the Department for future challenges including:
- capability building of the wider workforce in critical areas
- performance development planning
- leadership and management development
- building a values based culture
- workforce analysis and reporting
A range of targeted professional development programs are available which address individual and organisational development needs. For more information on development programs go to: Development at DET.
A range of supports and tools are currently available, with additional resources to be made available in the coming months, to assist teams and managers to implement succession planning.
- Succession planning process providing a summary of the steps and actions that need to be completed to develop a succession plan (PDF) (WORD)
Schools | Non School Locations