Complaints - information for employees

‚ÄčAll staff should feel safe and confident to raise concerns, issues, complaints and provide feedback about their workplace.

It is important that employee complaints are appropriately addressed, managed efficiently and effectively and resolved at the workplace level if possible. 

How to raise concerns and complaints

Employees who want to raise a concern or make a complaint should speak to an appropriate manager or principal first. This is the best way to reach a quick resolution.

Principals and managers are expected to be responsive and manage concerns and complaints fairly, respectfully, transparently and in a timely way. The Department's Guidelines for Managing Complaints, Misconduct and Unsatisfactory Performance Guide (links below) are used by principals and managers when managing complaints, misconduct and unsatisfactory performance.  

In some circumstances, it may be inappropriate for employees to raise the issue directly with their manager or principal as the allegations may relate to their conduct. In other circumstances, employees may not be satisfied with the outcome of the complaint they originally raised with their principal or manager. If this is the case employees can:

  • Approach their manager's manager or their regional office
  • Obtain more information about lodging a formal grievance about employment decisions or actions, including appointments or leave, to the Merit Protection Board
  • Seek advice on raising concerns about unprofessional conduct from the Employee Conduct Branch on (03) 7022 0005
  • Report suspected fraud, corruption and serious conflicts of interest  (e.g. on contracts) to the Department's Speak Up service by:


Victorian law also provides some legal protections to 'whistleblowers' making 'protected disclosures' under the Protected Disclosure Act 2012 (Vic) (this Act replaced the Whistleblowers' Protection Act).

There are specific requirements that must be fulfilled for a report or complaint to be a protected disclosure and for an employee to receive the legal protections of making a protected disclosure. It is important that anyone who thinks they may be a 'whistleblower' or anyone wanting to make a protected disclosure to have their complaint or report properly assessed to determine whether it meets the requirements of the Protected Disclosure Act 2012 (Vic). Refer to the 'Protected Disclosure Act' link below. 

Other Resources

Policy & Guidelines

  • Managing Complaints, Misconduct and Unsatisfactory Performance - Teaching Service
    (PDF) (WORD)
  • Managing Complaints, Misconduct and Unsatisfactory Performance - Public Service
    (PDF) (WORD)           


Related Topics

Contact Information

  • Employee Conduct Branch - (03) 7022 0005