The goal of rehabilitation is to help return injured employees back to safe and sustainable work as quickly as possible.
To help ensure that Department’s employees receive the most effective injury management support, employees who require rehabilitation support, should be referred to an Occupational Rehabilitation Provider (ORP) at the earliest opportunity.
A referral should generally be made to a rehabilitation provider:
- If the employee has been absent from work for ten days or more because of a work related injury or illness
- If the employee is currently suffering from a work related mental wellbeing condition, back injury or voice loss condition
- If there are other issues which may be an impediment to the employee’s return to work
In these instances an early referral should be made, even if the employee’s workers' compensation claim has not yet been submitted to Gallagher Bassett .
The rehabilitation provider's early involvement and assessment will help ensure that:
- Appropriate rehabilitation support is provided for the employee at the most critical stage of the injury recovery process
- Planning can commence for any workplace modifications or adjustments that may be required to assist the employee’s return to work
If you are uncertain whether an early rehabilitation referral is appropriate, you can call the Department’s Workers' Compensation Advisory Service on 9637 2441.
"If You Are Injured" Poster
The Department's "Returning To Work Following a Workplace Injury" Poster
The Department's Return to Work Arrangements Form