Personal Leave - Teaching Service

The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.


Personal leave is available to an employee when they are absent due to illness or injury; or to care for an immediate family or household member who is sick and requires the employee’s care and support or who requires care due to an unexpected emergency; or who is supporting a person experiencing family violence in order to accompany them to court, to hospital, or to care for children.

Employees are credited with 114 hours personal leave on full pay on commencement of employment.  Personal leave accrues at the rate of 114 hours on full pay for each completed year of service.  Employees employed on a part-time basis have access to the personal leave provisions on a pro-rata basis according to the time fraction worked.

Prior service with an approved employer may be recognised for personal leave purposes.  In this case personal leave credits will be calculated as if the approved prior service had been with the Department including the deduction of any personal leave taken during the period of prior service.

The personal leave policy guide, which is available below, provides further information on the following areas:

  • Personal leave entitlement
  • Applications for personal leave
  • Medical assessment
  • Effect of other leave on personal leave

Teaching Service | Public Service

Other Resources

Policy & Guidelines

  • Personal leave policy guide - Last updated 6 March 2020
    (PDF)  (WORD) 

Procedures & Forms

The following applies in relation to applying for leave:

  • Applications for leave should be submitted through Employee Self Service (ESS).  Select the following link for more information ESS eduPay
  • An application will need to be made in writing where an employee is unable to access or use ESS or wishes to amend/delete leave submitted through ESS and approved on eduPay.
  • Leave administration procedures  (WORD) 

A list of registered health practitioners and titles under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Victoria) Act 2009 may be obtained below:


Related Topics

Contact Information