The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.
Parental absence enables an employee who is a parent to be absent from duty for a total of seven years following or in conjunction with the birth, adoption or otherwise becoming the legal parent of one or more children.
Parental absence comprises one or more of the following forms of leave:
- Maternity leave
- Partner leave
- Other paid parental leave
- Long service leave
- Annual leave and additional paid leave (education support class employees)
- Family leave without pay
An employee may also be entitled to other leave preceding the birth or adoption of a child.
The Parental Absence Teaching Service Guide, which is available below, provides policy and other information on the following areas:
- Parental absence
- Paid leave entitlements
- Resumption of duty
- Leave preceding parental absence
- Commonwealth Parental Leave Pay Scheme
Teaching Service | Public Service
Policy & Guidelines
- Parental Absence Teaching Service Guide - Last updated 10 March 2020.
Procedures & Forms
- Sample letter for temporary resumption (WORD)
- Parental Leave Administration procedures (WORD)
- Parental Absence application form (WORD)
Information regarding the Commonwealth Parental Leave Pay Scheme, including eligibility requirements for payments, is available on the Commonwealth Government's Human Services website at Parental Leave Pay