Leave Without Pay - Public Service

Leave without pay may be granted to a public service employee except for Executive Officers for any purpose taking into account the personal needs of the employee. Leave without pay would normally not exceed a continuous period of twelve months at a time. Leave without pay may be an alternative where paid leave is not approved (e.g.. study leave).

Applications should specify the reason for leave and, where appropriate, include copies of any relevant material (e.g.. employment offer or acceptance of course enrolment). An employee wishing to extend leave without pay must make a new application for leave. Leave without pay should not be extended where there is no clear reason given for a further period of leave or the employee is simply deferring a decision on his or her future with the Department.

Unless otherwise approved by the Secretary leave without pay will not break an employee's continuity of employment but does not count as service for leave accrual or other purposes.

When an employee is on approved leave without pay there is no entitlement to any payment for public holidays that occur during the period of leave provided the employee is on leave without pay both sides of the public holiday.

It is expected that Executive Officers will not access unpaid leave in excess of six months.  Applications in excess of six months may be considered where compelling circumstances exist, and the value or benefits of such leave can be demonstrated.

Executive Officers seeking leave without pay in excess of six months must make application in writing to their manager and such applications will be considered and approved by the Secretary on a case-by-case basis.

Important Note Concerning Superannuation

An employee who is a member of the New or Revised superannuation funds is advised to contact the  Emergency Services & State Super (ESSSuper) office to seek advice concerning their superannuation while on leave.

Teaching Service | Public Service

Other Resources

Further Information

Procedures and Forms

The following applies in relation to applying for leave:

  • Applications for leave should be submitted through Employee Self Service (ESS).  Select the following link for more information ESS eduPay
  • An application will need to be made in writing where an employee is unable to access or use ESS. 


Related Topics

Contact Information