Language Allowance

A public service employee who in addition to their normal duties agrees to use their skills in a language other than English to assist members of the public who have low English proficiency, will be paid a language allowance in accordance with the Victorian Public Service Enterprise Agreement 2016 and the Nurses (Department of Education and Training) Agreement 2016.

To be eligible to receive a language allowance an employee must hold a current accreditation from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

Where an employee satisfies the requirements to be paid a language allowance, the manager should submit a request to Corporate People Services for consideration. Where an employee ceases to satisfy the requirements, the employee’s manager must notify Corporate People Services as soon as possible.

Further information about the language allowance, including the Victorian Public Service guidelines, is available from the Victorian Multicultural Commission (see below under further Information).

Other Resources


Further Information

Contact Information