Personal leave may be accessed in the event an employee is absent:
- due to personal illness or injury; or
- for the purposes of caring for an immediate family or household member who is ill or injured and requires the employee’s care or support or who requires care or support due to an unexpected emergency.
Full-time employees are credited with 114 hours (15 days) personal leave on full pay on commencement of employment, and a further 114 hours (15 days) for each completed year of service thereafter. Employees employed on a part-time basis have access to personal leave provisions on a pro-rata basis according to the time fraction worked.
Employees (other than a casual employees) are entitled to up to three days' paid compassionate leave per occasion on account of the death of a member of their immediate family or household, or to spend time with a member of their immediate family or household who has contracted or developed a personal illness or sustained a personal injury that poses a serious threat to their life.
The Personal and Compassionate Leave policy guide available below provides further information on the following areas:
- Personal and compassionate leave entitlement
- Applications for personal and compassionate leave
- Medical assessment
- Other related leave provisions
- Further Assistance
Teaching Service | Public Service
Policy & Guidelines
Personal and compassionate leave policy guide - Last updated 30 November 2018
Procedures & Forms
The following applies in relation to applying for leave:
- An application will need to be made in writing with applicable documentation for this type of leave - use the form below
- Bereavement Leave application form (WORD)