Early Years Management (EYM) organisations are local government or community-based organisations that provide professional leadership and centralised management of kindergarten services.
EYM organisations provide service delivery according to their regulatory, policy and funding obligations and are required to:
- assume all the responsibilities of an approved provider as specified in the Education and Care Services National Law and National Regulations
- establish and review effective governance practices that support professional leadership and management systems
- contribute to policy development, sector planning, policy reform implementation and service design.
Benefits of EYM
The benefits of EYM are:
- Children benefit from high quality, inclusive services provided by professionals who are well supported to adopt contemporary, evidence-based practices.
- Parents can focus their involvement on supporting their children's learning free of the compliance, industrial, financial and operational obligations required of approved early childhood service providers.
- Staff benefit from organisational structures and processes that support them in their day to day work, but also have a view to the future creating career pathways and professional development opportunities that align with their aspirations.
The 2021-22 State Budget included an additional $31.2 million to support EYM organisations. The current funding rates can be found on
Kindergarten Funding Rates.
Become an early years manager
An EYM organisation must:
- be a local government or community-based, not-for-profit organisation
- comprise a minimum of three community-based services, provided by incorporated associations run by volunteer Committee of Management, that offer a funded kindergarten program.
If you're considering becoming an early years manager, contact the nearest Department
EYM Policy Framework (2016) (pdf - 4.16mb) |
EYM Policy Framework (2016) (docx - 38mb) - sets out the background and context for Early Years Management.
EYM Improvement Framework (2021) (pdf - 2.14mb) |
EYM Improvement Framework (2021)(docx - 1.4mb) – supports EYM organisations to use data and other information to find ways to continuously improve. The EYM Improvement Framework replaces the EYM Outcomes and draft Performance Framework (Appendix 1 of the EYM Kindergarten Operating Guidelines).
EYM Kindergarten Operating Guidelines (2016) (pdf - 3.98mb) |
EYM Kindergarten Operating Guidelines (2016) (docx - 19mb) - provides detailed guidelines for implementing the EYM policy framework, for all EYM partners that deliver or intend to deliver kindergarten programs in Victoria.
EYM Fact Sheet - Information for Committees of Management (2016) (pdf - 163.16kb) |
EYM Fact Sheet - Information for Committees of Management (2016) (docx - 1.72mb) - this fact sheet contains general information about EYM for parent run Committees of Management who currently operate stand–alone kindergartens and may be considering an EYM partnership.