Purpose of grant
New early learning facilities contribute to high quality early learning programs, including funded kindergarten in the year before school, at a neighbourhood level.
The location and design of new early learning facilities should respond to the needs of local families and support partnerships with other local services for children and families.
New early learning facilities funded through this grant must:
- have at least 66 approved places, based on two rooms for providing a funded kindergarten program for children in the year before school (four year old kindergarten)
- provide a funded kindergarten for children in the year before school (four year old kindergarten). This can be sessional and/or integrated with long day care.
- provide at least one of the following early childhood services:
- three year old kindergarten
- long day care
- maternal and child health services
A new early learning facility cannot be located on a site that is currently used by a licensed children’s service.
Eligible organisations can apply for up to 75 per cent of the total project cost, capped at $650,000 per grant (GST exclusive).
We expect new early learning facilities to be completed and acquitted within 18 months of the execution of the funding agreement. Funding agreements must be signed no later than eight weeks following official notification of a successful grant application.
In cases where a project is delayed for an unreasonable length of time, or where substantive changes to scope are made after funding has been approved, the Department reserves the right to cancel the grant and, if applicable, recoup any payments that have already been provided.
Apply for a grant