The Department is offering additional funding for early childhood services to support provisionally registered early childhood teachers to move to full registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Moving from provisional to full registration is an important step in a teacher’s career and demonstrates their proficiency against the
Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Early childhood services and their approved provider can apply for funding of $2,872 (excluding GST) per teacher.
Who can apply
Early childhood services delivering a state-funded kindergarten program can apply on behalf of each provisionally registered teacher they employ. This includes provisionally registered teachers:
- working in a teaching role in a funded room, or an unfunded room
- working in a teaching role on a casual basis, provided the service can support them to achieve full teacher registration.
What the funding can be used for
Funding can be used in any way that supports the provisionally registered teacher to move to full teacher registration. This includes:
- providing paid time release, travel or accommodation expenses for both the provisionally registered teacher and a mentor to work with each other
- employing a casual relief teacher to backfill the provisionally registered teacher and/or the mentor
- supporting the provisionally registered teacher to undertake formal professional learning. This might include (but is not limited to) attendance at conferences, workshops, seminars, online courses, subscriptions to teacher magazines/journals/research articles, coaching from an external consultant and teacher text book resources on particular topics.
How to access the funding
- Complete the online application form at any time:
Funding for Provisionally Registered Teachers
- Ensure you have read the
Funding Agreement (docx - 53.19kb) which outlines your contractual obligations.
- The Department will advise successful applicants within the payment timeframes indicated in the table below. Payments will be made through existing service agreements with service providers.
- The provisionally registered teacher must intend to move to full registration within 12 months of receiving the funding.
- The funding is a once-off payment per eligible provisionally registered teacher.
- Funding is subject to Department approval of the successful application and the availability of funds. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding will be awarded.
Application assessment and payment schedule:
|Funding round dates||Payment made to approved provider|
1 July - 1 September 2021
|Prior to 15 November 2021|
1 February 2022 - 1 April 2022
|Prior to 15 June 2022|
For further enquiries or information about this funding, email:
For more information about the process to move from provisional to full registration, call the Victorian Institute of Teaching on 1300 977 263 or learn about
moving to full registration.