Protecting Children - Mandatory Reporting and Other Obligations for the Early Childhood Sector is a free online eLearning module.
Who the training is for
This training is for all early childhood professionals. The eLearning module supports you to understand the law and your role and responsibilities when responding to children whose safety, health or wellbeing may be at risk.
To meet the requirements of the
Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011, early childhood professionals who work with children need to be aware of the existence and application of current child protection law and relevant obligations.
Complete the eLearning module
Mandatory Reporting eLearning module
How to use and navigate the online learning system
The following information will help you set up your account and navigate the online learning system.
Access or set up a new account
If you have completed the Information Sharing and Family Violence Reforms online training, you can use your existing log-in details to complete the PROTECT training.
If you have forgotten your log-in details, click ‘forgot password’ on the home page.
If you have not created an account for this system before:
- click the ‘sign up’ button
- follow the instructions for new users below.
New users will need to will need to create an account. You will need to provide personal details so that we can:
- create and maintain your user profile
- keep a record of training that you complete
- help us report on state-wide completion of training modules
- contact you about changes to law, policy and your professional and legal obligations.
Note: We manage any personal information you provided in accordance with relevant Victorian privacy law, the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. View the
Step 1: Choose a username and password
Register an account by choosing a username and password. We recommend that you use the first part of your email address (before the @ symbol) as your username.
Step 2: Provide contact details
Complete the steps as requested. If you would like to receive a 12 month notification to refresh your training and knowledge, select:
- 'email' as your 'Preferred Method of Contact', and
- 'Yes' to "I wish to receive further information'.
Step 3: Department and Agency information
- Select ‘Department of Education and Training’ as your 'Sharing Scheme Department', and
- ‘Kindergartens’ as your 'Workforce'.
Step 4: Your organisation's details
Provide your 'Organisation' details so that you can access the appropriate training modules for your role.
If the name of your organisation, local government council or program is not listed in the ‘Organisation’ drop-down list, select a generic option that best describes your workplace, such as:
- Long day care
- Outside School Hours Care
Step 5: Submit the form
Complete the security check and select 'Create my new account' to complete registration. You will receive an email to your registered address. Click on the link in the email to complete registration.
Find the PROTECT training
Once you have accessed your account or registered as a new user you will have access to the PROTECT training.
To find the training module:
- click on the option marked ‘All programs’ (find this option on your home screen on the right-hand side of the page, about midway down)
- select the training marked Protecting Children – Mandatory Reporting and Other Obligations Early Childhood.
About the online learning system
This training module has moved to the Information Sharing and Multi-Agency Risk Assessment and Management (MARAM) online learning system and is hosted by a third-party provider.
If you have any questions about the training contact