Staff working in early childhood offices are advised to suspend the destruction of early childhood child safety and wellbeing records.
Following the recommendations of the McClellan Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and related matters, the Department is reviewing the minimum retention period for child safety, wellbeing and associated records.
The Department's review will likely lead to a significant increase of the current retention periods, so staff should not destroy any key student records until further notice.
The Department's review will impact the handling and retention of:
- records documenting the reporting and investigation of child abuse allegations
- any student health and wellbeing case management records
- records relating to excursions and off-site activities with a particular focus on attendance and programs of events
- general early childhood files and formal reports (including emails)
- other incident and accident reports and investigations
- notices and communications with parents/guardians and other stakeholders about any of the above (including emails).
In the interim, please ensure these records are kept and stored securely.
For more information or support, see: Records and records management or contact Records and Digitisation Services on 1800 359 140 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.