The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a national approach to providing individualised support and services for people with a disability. The aim is to allow them to live the life they want, and to achieve their goals.
The introduction of the NDIS is the most significant social reform since Medicare and will affect many aspects of Victoria’s early childhood and education systems.
The NDIS is administered by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA). There will be a staged shift in responsibilities as some functions currently performed within the Victorian Department of Education and Training and the Department of Health and Human Services move to the NDIA or to the non-government sector.
A phased roll out of the scheme began in Victoria in 1 July 2016.
- Barwon Trial: 2013-2015
- North Eastern Melbourne: 1 July 2016
- Central Highlands: 1 January 2017
- Loddon Mallee: 1 May 2017
- Ovens Murray: 1 October 2017
- Wimmera South West (formerly Western District): 1 October 2017
- Inner Gippsland: 1 October 2017
- Inner Eastern Melbourne: 1 November 2017
- Outer Eastern Melbourne: 1 November 2017
- Hume Moreland: 1 March 2018
- Bayside Peninsula: 1 April 2018
- Southern Melbourne: 1 September 2018
- Brimbank Melton: 1 October 2018
- Western Melbourne: 1 October 2018
- Goulburn: 1 January 2019
- Mallee: 1 January 2019
- Outer Gippsland: 1 January 2019
NDIS and Early Childhood Intervention Services (ECIS)
The rollout of the NDIS means changes in the way ECIS are delivered in Victoria.
Families can find more information on early childhood intervention supports for their child during transition to the NDIS from:
Early Childhood Intervention Services
ECIS providers can find more information on Victorian quality and safeguards, delivering services under the NDIS and applying for and maintaining Victorian Approved NDIS provider status from:
NDIS and schools
Some aspects of school-life will be impacted under the NDIS. For more information, see:
For more information about the scheme and how it will rollout visit
National Disability Insurance Scheme in Victoria