The Skills First Reconnect program supports learners that may experience a barrier to learning and transitioning to the workforce. As a Skills First Reconnect participant learners can:
- engage with further training and education with the help of suitable support services
- build their resilience and capacity to help them move from formal learning to employment.
How it works
Under the program, selected TAFEs and Learn Local registered training organisations (RTOs) receive funding to provide Victorian learners:
- to address barriers to enrolling in and completing an accredited training program and a supervised work experience placement
- with access to specialist support services such as health, accommodation, and personal and relationship supports.
The Skills First Reconnect program is designed to address disadvantage and promote equity.
Who can access Skills First Reconnect
Learners referred to Skills First Reconnect must be:
- high-needs learners aged 17 to 19 who have not completed year 12 or equivalent and are not in education, training or full time employment; or
- individuals aged 20 to 64 who have not completed year 12 or equivalent and who are long-term unemployed.
Support for learners
Vulnerable young people who leave school early and the long-term unemployed often face multiple barriers to learning and transitioning to the workforce. The risk of disengagement is high unless targeted services are available to support these learners back into education, training or employment.
With the right support, these learners stand to gain the most in terms of increases in participation, employment and income.
Reconnecting Victorians with educational and employment opportunities
Skills First Reconnect leverages strong networks to refer learners to the support services that best meet their needs.
Skills First Reconnect providers partner with Learn Local providers to provide expanded learning opportunities that help learners gain the foundational skills necessary to transition into accredited training.
As part of the Skills First Reconnect program, RTOs:
- undertake outreach and engagement activities to locate, engage and attract disengaged, high-needs learners back into a learning environment
- assess the learning and non-learning needs of Reconnect participants and develop an agreed learning plan to transition participants to further training or employment
- coordinate and provide access to support services that help participants start and stay in training.
Skills First Reconnect providers
Skills First Reconnect services are provided by 27 providers: