Nominate now to recognise the important contribution of student voice to Victorian education
The Victorian Student Representative Council (VicSRC) Student Voice Awards are an annual celebration of best practice student voice.
Student voice involves students actively participating in their schools, communities and the education system by putting forward their views, concerns and ideas.
These awards amplify the important contribution of students to Victorian education and act as a catalyst for change within our schools.
Minaret College's student voice journey
Project Zero at Minaret College Officer campus won the Student-Led Project Award at the 2019 Student Voice Awards.
Designed and led by students, the zero-waste project strived to achieve a clean and sustainable school environment.
Project Zero aimed to:
- develop a long-term pro-environment campus culture which students felt proud of
- combat and reduce landfill waste and environmental damage done by the school and community
- have a zero-waste campus.
To bring the college one step closer to achieving the project objectives, the students held a Clean Up Week in June 2019.
During the week, teachers and students from foundation to Year 12 participated in a range of educational activities including:
- a presentation on common rubbish found in school and how they can be sustainably replaced
- a multi-event relay race including a rubbish riddle, a sack race and recycle bin design
- a competition to win Environmental Champion.
The success of Clean Up Week, empowered students at Minaret College Officer campus to take on more projects of this kind.
The project provided an opportunity for students to work closely with school staff which strengthened their relationships and resulted in increased student involvement in decision making at the school.
The 2021 Student Voice Awards are open to all Victorian primary, secondary and P-12 schools.
The award categories are:
- Student-Led Project Award — celebrating projects created and led by students, either at school or in their community
- Student Voice School of the Year — celebrating a whole school approach to student voice, agency, leadership and participation.
How to nominate
Students, teachers and the public can nominate today to recognise the great work being done in student voice across Victoria.
For information about how to submit a nomination, visit the VicSRC website.
Nominations close Friday 22 October.
The awards will be presented at the Student Voice Extravaganza on Thursday 2 December.
Find out more
For more information about the awards, refer to the VicSRC website.