Reader's Review Competition
(COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED)
Write a book review for your chance to win a prize pack of free books and a visit to Penguin publishing house in Melbourne
The competition opens on Wednesday 24 April 2019 and closes at 5pm on Saturday 6 July 2019.
This year, the Victorian Premiers’ Reading Challenge (PRC) is running its first ever reader’s review competition for secondary school students (years 7 to 10).
Literacy is important for all aspects of life, and all Victorian secondary school students are encouraged to take the next step in expanding their literacy skills.
Enter in six simple steps
Register for the 2019 Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Read a book from reader’s review book list (below) according to your year level.
- a 400-500 word review
- include insightful analysis of your chosen book
- be written for the intended audience (year 7 to 8 or year 9 to 10).
- Print off the
Reader's Review entry form and carefully read the terms and conditions. Have the form signed by your parent or guardian.
- Notify your school’s PRC coordinator or your school that you have entered this competition
- Email the completed entry form, including the signed terms and conditions, with your 400-500 words review to
All entries must be received by 5pm on Saturday 6 July 2019.
Readers review book list
Choose a book from the following book lists (according to your year level) to write your review:
Years 7 and 8
- The Fall by Tristan Bancks
- Thai-Riffic by Oliver Phommavanh
- Lion: A Long Way Home (Young Readers edition) by Saroo Brierly
- The Other Side of Summer by Emily Gale
- Ting Ting the Ghosthunter by Gabrielle Wang
Years 9 and 10
- The Sidekicks by Will Kostakis
- You Must be Layla by Yassmin Abdel-Magied
- I Am Sasha by Anita Selzer
- Intruder by Christine Bongers
- Found by Fleur Ferris
The winner will receive:
- a pack of free books
- publication of their review on this website
- the opportunity to visit Penguin Random House publishing house in Melbourne with up to four classmates and two teachers or parent/guardians.
Wednesday 24 April: competition opens
Saturday 6 July: competition closes
Friday 19 July: winner contacted by email or phone
Tuesday 23 July: winner’s review published on this website
Monday 19 August to Friday 23 August 2019 (one day): select a day to tour Penguin Head office in Melbourne.
If you have any questions or require an alternative way to enter the competition, email firstname.lastname@example.org.