Find information for school students and parents on how to take part in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge, using the
Logging in with a Challenge password
Your teacher will give you a Challenge username and password. Keep them in a safe place.
If you lose or forget your Challenge password, ask your Challenge coordinator or class teacher to generate a new one for you.
- Go to the
- Select the School/Student button.
- Select the VPRC login option.
- Enter your username and password.
- Select Login.
Logging in with an eduPass account
- Go to the
- Select the School/Student button.
- Select the eduPass login option. This will redirect you to the eduPass authentication page.
- Enter your username and password. This will redirect you back to the Challenge application.
If your eduPass details are incorrect, speak to your teacher.
Viewing your dashboard
The dashboard is your main workspace as you progress through the Challenge.
At the top of the dashboard are gemstone badges. These are grey when you start your Challenge. They change to green as you progress through the Challenge.
Below the badges is a green bar. This shows you how many days are left until the end of the Challenge.
There are also two progress wheels that show:
- what your Challenge target is
- how many Challenge or Choice books you have finished or had verified.
Your reading list shows the books you have added and finished reading.
As you add more books to your reading list, the application will learn the kinds of books you like to read. It will recommend other books by:
Books other students at your school and across Victoria are reading appear on the Trending books list.
The side menu lets you:
- see your Profile Details and add an avatar
- see all the book reviews you have written
- search for books you would like to add to your reading list.
Gemstone badges are awarded as you progress through the Challenge.
- Badge 1 – when you mark your first book as finished.
- Badge 2 – when you finish 30 per cent of your Challenge target.
- Badge 3 – when you finish 60 per cent of your Challenge target.
- Badge 4 – when you have met your Challenge target, and your Challenge coordinator has verified all your books.
Changing your avatar
- Select Profile Details in the side menu.
- Select Change avatar. A screen with all avatars will appear.
- Select the avatar you want.
- Select the Save button.
Adding books to your reading list
If you see a book on the Recommended books or Trending book lists you want to read, select the +Add book button below the book.
You can also search the catalogue for a book you want to add.
- Select Search Books in the side menu.
- Enter the book’s name, author, series name or ISBN number in the search field.
- Select the Search button.
- Find the book you want from the search results and select the book title. This will open the book details.
- Select the +Add book button.
The book will appear in your reading list on your dashboard.
You should only add books you want to read to your reading list. If you mark a book as finished but want to remove it, speak to your Challenge coordinator or class teacher. If the book has already been verified, it cannot be removed from your reading list.
If you cannot find the book
Doing an advanced search will improve your search results if you cannot find the book you want.
- Select the Advanced Search link. This will bring up more specific search fields. You can search by:
- genre – e.g. mystery and suspense
- series name
- year level
- media type – e.g. audiobook
- Enter the search terms you want and select Search.
- Select Refine your results for extra options.
Before you start a new search, select the Clear All button. This will clear the data fields you were searching on before.
If you still can’t find the book you want to add, speak to your Challenge coordinator or class teacher. If they approve, they’ll be able to add a placeholder book to your reading list. You can still count the book towards your Challenge book target.
Removing a book from your reading list
To remove an unfinished book from your reading list:
- Select the book image. A message will appear asking you to confirm you want to remove the book.
- Select Yes, remove.
If you mark a book as finished but want to remove it, speak to your Challenge coordinator or class teacher. If the book has already been verified, it cannot be removed from your reading list.
Star ratings, book reviews and favourites
When you have finished reading a book, select the book’s Finish button from your reading list on the dashboard. A book review screen will open and you can:
- Give the book a star rating – 5 stars is the highest rating, 1 star is the lowest rating.
- Write a book review – up to a maximum of 500 characters.
- Mark the book as a favourite – you can add more than one book as a favourite.
Complete any details you want to add and select Finish book.
The Challenge coordinator at your school will verify finished books. This will not happen right away.
If you submit a book review, it will be sent to your Challenge coordinator for approval. Reviews are not published until they have been reviewed. Published reviews will only show your school name and year level.
Editing a book review
All the reviews you submit are available under My Reviews in the side menu.
Book reviews marked Pending are still waiting for your Challenge coordinator’s approval. When they approve your review, the status will change to Published.
Published reviews only show your school name and year level. This is to protect your privacy.
Your Challenge coordinator may return the review to you to make changes before they publish it. These are marked as Requires rework. Select the Update review button to open the book review and make your changes. Select Submit.
To edit an unpublished review that you have not yet submitted, select the book’s Finished button from your reading list. This will open the book review window. Make your changes and select Submit.
Editing a published book review
If you want to edit a book review that has been published, speak to your Challenge coordinator or class teacher. They’ll be able to unpublish the review and send it back to you for rework.
Suggesting a book be added to the Challenge book list
If you have finished reading a Choice book and think it should be on the Challenge list, you can recommend that the book become a Challenge book.
- Select the book’s Finish button from your reading list on the dashboard. A book review screen will open.
- Give the book a star rating, write a review or mark the book as a favourite (if you wish).
- Check the box next to the option to Recommend this book to be added to the Challenge book list.
- Select Finish book.