The annual Victorian State Schools Spectacular program is an invaluable performing arts opportunity for Victoria’s government primary and secondary school students.
The program showcases and unites government school communities through working towards a common goal of more students reaching the highest level of achievement in the arts, ensuring kids are happy, healthy and resilient, and building pride in our schools.
The Spectacular has become an invaluable rite of passage for Victoria’s top young talent, and a cherished, memorable education experience for all participants.
We are saddened to announce that the public health team has recommended the 2021 Victorian State Schools Spectacular be cancelled due to current COVID-19 restrictions and ongoing uncertainty as a result of the pandemic.
Rehearsals at John Cain Arena were to commence on Wednesday 1 September through to the performance day scheduled for Saturday 11 September.
Our hearts go out to the talented and diligent student cast and crew who have been training and rehearsing for months to put on a fantastic show.
We are grateful for the support of Spectacular school communities, teachers, parents and the team of industry professionals who enabled these amazing young people to participate in this performing arts program, but the safety and wellbeing of everyone involved is always our priority.
An electronic Spectacular Year Book will be produced to recognise the hard work, perseverance and achievements of the student participants. It will capture images and videos of all the student cast and crew over the past seven months of preparation, and will be made freely available online.
Plans for the 2022 Spectacular performing arts program are already underway, as online auditions and school registrations take place from October, and statewide training will kick off in February 2022 - and we encourage all students keen to be involved again in 2022 to register, audition and get ready for what we hope is a much more Spectacular year.
Registrations to participate in the 2022 Spectacular will open in October 2021.
The Spectacular’s growing alumni includes:
- winner of The Voice Harrison Craig
- Maggie McKenna (lead in Muriel’s Wedding the Musical)
- Adam Ladell The Voice, Semi-Finalist 2016
- Vanessa Amorosi
- HaNy Lee (actress and K-pop artist)
- Hairspray lead Jaz Flowers
- Opera Australia artist Nicole Car
- Niklas Kreher (who secured a job with world-leading lighting company PRG)
Other graduates include:
- Strictly Ballroom the Musical’s Rohan Browne
- Ryan Meeking who fronts Melbourne band Whitaker
- Jack O'Riley, Jersey Boys
- Daniel Ridolfi, Aladdin
- Keagan Vaskess, Ned Kelly
- Dreamgirls principal cast member and Simba in Germany’s long-running The Lion King Winston Hillyer
- The Voice Australia finalist Kiyomi Vella
- Victorian Opera’s Jeremy Kleeman
- Sam Bluer, Pop artist
Our performing arts unit can be contacted on 9415 1700 or email:
Transcript - Victorian State School Spectacular
The latest from the spectacular