Children's Week is a national celebration that recognises the talents, skills, achievements and rights of children. It will run from Saturday 23 October to Sunday 31 October 2021, with thousands of Victorian children taking part in the festivities.
The theme for Children's Week 2020-21 is
Children have the right to choose their friends and safely connect with others, drawn from Article 15 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
During Children's Week, local councils, not-for-profit organisations, schools and early childhood services organise open days, displays, special events, virtual spaces and online-based activities. These celebrate childhood and showcase children's achievements.
All Children's Week events are free to families with children aged from birth to 12 years. This is a great opportunity for Victorian families to enjoy fun, engaging and educational experiences.
Children's Week Grants 2021
Local Government Councils or eligible not-for-profit organisations are invited to apply for a grant of up to $1,000 to contribute to the cost of hosting a Children's Week activity that celebrates this year's theme.
The grants program aims to:
- provide children and their families an opportunity to participate in a range of community activities
- engage Victorian families to connect and play together
- provide a financial contribution to support eligible organisations to deliver high-quality events that celebrate the national Children's Week theme.
In-person events are welcomed and will be subject to any State or Federal Government restrictions and guidelines in place at the time (including the provision of a COVID-Safe Plan).
Grant applicants are encouraged to consider COVID-Safe alternative activities to celebrate Children's Week.
In-person or online activities may include:
- art exhibitions / virtual art gallery
- messy play activities / take home packs
- dance workshops
- musical performances
- online guest speaker/ entertainment event.
- Applications open - 11 June 2021
- Applications close - 14 July 2021
- Assessment and shortlisting of applications - July – August 2021
- Advise applicants of outcome of grant application - September 2021
- Payments made to successful applicants - October 2021
- Children's Week 2021 events delivered - 23 October – 31 October 2021
- Acquittals due - 3 December 2021
How to apply
Download the Children's Week grant guidelines (docx - 460.26kb) to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements and can address the selection criteria.
Submit an online application via SmartyGrants
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday 14 July 2021 at 5pm. Late applications will not be accepted.
Calendar of free activities
A calendar of activities will be available in September 2021.
For questions or information on Children's Week grants in Victoria, email
For information about Children’s Week across
Australia visit Children's Week Council of Australia.