The department is committed to supporting schools to manage the impact of COVID-19 and is seeking eligible applicants to work within our Victorian schools to provide short-term, casual support throughout 2022.
Schools across Victoria may elect to use this support to help with their daily operations through a number of roles including:
- face to face teaching (where specifically eligible)
- classroom and student support
- allied health (school nurses, psychologists, counsellors, etc.)
- administrative assistance
- support for school leaders in managing COVID-19 related matters.
Candidates for teaching roles may include:
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) registered teachers who are not currently practicing teachers
- casual relief teachers (CRTs)
- retired teachers
- final year pre-service teachers (PSTs).
Final year PSTs who register their interest in taking up this opportunity will be contacted directly by the VIT with details on how to submit an application to the VIT for Permission to Teach (PTT).
Candidates for other roles include:
- individuals with experience supporting students and teachers in classrooms
- individuals with administrative experience (in schools would be advantageous)
- individuals with Allied Health experience (must be registered with the relevant body as per discipline).
Successful individuals must hold a valid Working with Children Check or valid Victorian Institute of Teaching registration prior to starting employment.
Successful individuals for roles in schools will be employed on a casual basis as either casual education support or casual classroom teachers, as appropriate.
Register your interest and availability
To register your interest in short-term roles in Victorian government schools as part of this initiative, please submit your application including a CV and select 'Support Your School Initiative' via the 'Add your resume to ROL Job Opportunities' section of the department's Recruitment Online platform.
Apply for Support Your School initiative roles
For CRTs with full/provisional VIT registration: Register your interest directly to the department
CRT Applicants (General Public and Current Teachers)
To register your immediate interest for CRT work in Victorian Government schools, please complete the General Public - express your interest in short-term CRT relief form.
Schools looking for CRTs
To register your interest in sourcing a CRT, complete the Support Your Schools Initiative - Expression of Interest in short-term CRT relief form detailing your subject requirements and date preferences.
This service is for schools to:
- contact the SYSI team upon exhaustion of the job opportunity pool; and
- where regular CRT agencies are unable to help with backfilling a teacher.
Schools should first use their standard approach to fill any short-term staff vacancies.
If those avenues are unsuccessful, then call or email the department once all other measures have been exhausted.
For final year PSTs: register your interest and availability
Final year PSTs (teaching degree students) can register interest in short-term COVID-19 relief teaching roles at Victorian government and/or Catholic sector schools.
To register your interest, complete the applicable process(es). If you are interested in roles in both sectors, register your interest through both processes.
Short-term roles for final year PSTs in Victorian government schools
If you are interested in short-term roles in Victorian government schools as part of this initiative, please register your interest by submitting your application including a CV and select 'Support Your School Initiative' via the 'Add your resume to ROL Job Opportunities' section of the department's Recruitment Online platform.
Apply for Support Your School initiative roles
Short-term roles for final year PSTs in Victorian Catholic sector schools
If you are interested in short-term roles in Victorian Catholic sector schools as part of this initiative, please register your interest by completing the webform below.
Register your interest in roles at Victorian Catholic schools webform.
Further information – contact details
Further general information is available on casual employment through school councils.
For further information on short-term roles in Victorian government schools, please contact the Support Your School Initiative team on:
- phone: 1800 641 943 (follow directions to Recruitment Enquiries, then option 3; the phone line will be available 8 am to 6 pm, 5 days a week)
- email: email@example.com.
For information on short-term roles for final year PSTs in Victorian Catholic sector schools please email firstname.lastname@example.org.