Personal Assistance

Retrenchment can be a challenging time for individuals and their families. Uncertainty, financial insecurity and other pressures can be emotionally stressful.

If you are having difficulties with anxiety, depression, family arguments, drug and alcohol use or other personal issues, it is a good idea to talk to someone about these problems.

There are many government and not-for-profit services that can help support you through the difficulties. Remember to access free financial counselling and free personal counselling services. You might also consider some additional options. All the services listed below are not-for-profit, free and confidential.


Lifeline is a free, confidential telephone helpline that offers support regarding mental health, wellbeing and suicide prevention. If you feel you, or someone you know may be at risk or just need someone to listen, call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or see: Lifeline


beyondblue provides an information and referral service for those who may be experiencing depression, anxiety or substance abuse. beyondblue also raises awareness about depression and other related conditions and hopes to reduce the stigma within the community. For more information please call 1300 224 636 or see: beyondblue

Local support programs

Ask your local council for information about other community groups and welfare organisations in your local area.

Union support

Contact your relevant union and ask how they can help you. The Victorian Trades Hall Council has a list of unions available on their website, see: Union Directory or call (03) 9659 3511.