Financial Assistance and Advice

The Commonwealth and Victorian Governments provide a number of forms of financial support and assistance for people who have been retrenched. This section highlights entitlements for which you may be eligible, depending on your circumstances. 

If you lose your job through retrenchment, some financial assistance may be available to you through the Commonwealth Department of Human Services. So your first step should be to register with them as soon as possible.

Don’t forget to obtain or make sure you are issued with a Certificate of Separation from your last employer. The Commonwealth Department of Human Services needs this document to assess your eligibility for payment.

To register and check your eligibility call 13 28 50 if you are 22 years of age or older, or 13 24 90 if you are under 22 years of age, or see: Department of Human Services

Family Assistance Office

The Family Assistance Office offers a range of payments to support families with their work and family responsibilities. It provides financial assistance and information to families including how to access and apply for:

  • Family Tax Benefit Part A and B
  • Child Care Benefit
  • Child Care Rebate
  • Health Care Cards
  • Rent Assistance.

For more information, please call the Centrelink Families and Parents Line on 13 61 50 or see: Human Services: Families

Child support

If you have children and there are changes in your income or care arrangements, you may need to change your details with the Commonwealth Department of Human Services.

For more information, please call 13 12 72 or see: Human Resources: Child Support 

Money management is a major strain for many workers during times of retrenchment.

The Commonwealth Department of Human Services provides a free Financial Information Service (FIS). You do not need to be claiming a Centrelink benefit to access this service. To speak to a FIS officer please call 13 23 00 and choose the ‘other query’ option.


MoneyHelp provides free, confidential and independent financial advice to Victorians who are facing job loss or reduced working hours. The service is also available to people who are struggling to pay their mortgage or rent. MoneyHelp can support you with information and tools to help:

  • manage your bills and debts
  • prepare a budget
  • compare debt payment options
  • take financial control
  • register for Commonwealth Department of Human Services entitlements.

To access MoneyHelp call the helpline on 1800 007 007 or visit MoneyHelp

Retrenchment and the law

Legislation is in place that determines and regulates eligibility for redundancy and other payments in the event of an employer terminating employment, or beginning retrenchments.

For more information regarding fair work practices, unfair dismissal, general work practices and workplace legislation call the Commonwealth Government’s Fair Work information line on 13 13 94 or visit Fair Work Australia

General employee entitlements and redundancy scheme

The General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme (GEERS) was established by the Commonwealth Government to support employees who lose employment because their employer becomes insolvent or bankrupt. If you are owed entitlements, GEERS can help you claim from these employers.

For more information please call 1300 135 040 or see: GEERS