Are there any part-time or school-based apprenticeships or traineeships available?
Yes, subject to there being a suitable industrial arrangement in place. It is the employer's responsibility to make sure this is the case and that the Training Contract reflects this.
What are the requirements for school-based apprenticeships and traineeships?
The requirements are that:
- the school-based apprentice or trainee completes at least one day a week on the job or in training during the normal school week
- the training plan is to be signed off by the school-based apprentice or trainee’s school representative
- the training plan is completed within two months of starting the training contract.
What are the minimum hours for part-time and school-based apprentices and trainees?
The minimum hours are:
- Part-time (not attending school): 13 hours per week (at least 7 hours employment, 6 hours of training) averaged over 1, 2 or 4 week cycles
- School-based apprentice and trainee, and part-time (attending school): 13 hours per week (at least 7 hours of employment and 6 hours training) averaged over 3 periods of 4 months in each year of the program unless workplace based
- Fully workplace based part-time and school-based apprenticeships and traineeships: 13 hours per week including release for structured training
Need more information?
For more information, see: Guidelines for Part-time and School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (docx - 30.78kb)
This is a summary of requirements for undertaking part-time school-based apprenticeships and traineeships.