The Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing industry is mainly engaged in growing crops, raising animals, growing and harvesting timber, and harvesting fish and other animals from farms or their natural habitats. The industry covers both production and support services to production.
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing provided $8.2 billion to Victoria's output in 2012-13, representing 3 per cent of the total.
- The sector employs approximately 79,000 people, with expected growth of 4 per cent over the five years to 2017-18, with the largest growth in the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Support Services sub-sector.
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing related courses accounted for 8,300 government subsidised enrolments in 2013. TAFE fee for service provision in the sector was around 3,200 enrolments.
- Apprenticeships grew by 78 per cent to approximately 80 government subsidised enrolments between 2008 and 2013.
- Traineeships grew 153 per cent to approximately 2,500 government subsidised enrolments between 2008 and 2013.
- In 2013, 7 per cent of government subsidised enrolments related to specialised or in shortage occupations.
- There were 40 training providers delivering government subsidised training related to the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing sector in 2013. TAFEs provided 50 per cent of government subsidised enrolments in 2013. Private Registered Training Organisation (RTOs) accounted for 48 per cent of training delivery in 2013.
The largest number of course enrolments by occupation include:
Main training packages
Occupations with skills in demand
We anticipate that the following occupations will have good employment prospects in the near future as they are experiencing shortages, are already a large occupation group or are anticipating strong growth from 2013-2018.
Occupations with shortages
Largest employing occupations
In 2013, the top five employing occupations in the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing industry accounted for 74 per cent of all employment within the industry. They are:
Occupations anticipating strongest growth (2013 to 2018)
Over the next five years (2013 - 2018), the following occupations are forecast for the strongest growth:
Skills and training market publications
For all industry comparisons refer to:
Have your say
We want to hear about your workforce and current training needs. This survey has 6 questions and will take about 5 minutes to complete.
Survey: Have your say about your workforce and training needs
For more information on training market trends see: Victorian Training Market Quarterly Reports
For more information on occupations, courses and the Victorian Training Guarantee, see: Victorian Skills Gateway
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing resides within Portfolio A. Key contacts for Portfolio A can be found at: Industry Skills Portfolio Teams.