Victoria has a strong, vibrant educational system that celebrates diversity and ensures all students have access to an inclusive, high quality education. All schools must ensure that students with disabilities can access and participate in education on the same basis as students without disabilities. This includes providing adjustments and support where needed.
For children and young people, significant transitions occur when they start school, move from primary school to secondary school, and from secondary schooling to adult life. Some students may require substantial preparation, planning, adjustment and support during these transitions.
The following information will assist schools and families to provide a positive transition experience from primary to secondary settings.
The Transition from Primary to Secondary School resource provides information and advice for schools in supporting them to implement positive and effective transitions for students with disabilities and additional needs. In this resource you will find:
- an overview of the transition planning process including key elements and considerations,
- suggested timeline and checklists for transition planning activities
- Transition Statement templates that schools may use to strengthen their transition processes
- information on student support and targeted programs
- contact details and links to resources and additional information
The Transitioning from Primary to Secondary School resource is available at: