From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Providing teachers with powerful information about early numeracy skills to use when planning to meet student learning needs.
2018 MOI updates
Since launching the MOI on the insight platform in 2017, a number of enhancements were identified to improve the usability and functionality of the online interview. A number of updates have been made to MOI for 2018. The updates include:
- Edits to improve clarity of instructions.
- Reduction of visual clutter including green highlighting, sad and smiley faces, and unnecessary free text boxes.
- Fixed branching issues based on advice from educational experts, for example, the loop in section B back to question 9 has been addressed.
- Growth point 0 will now be awarded to a student for a section when they answer at least one question (correct or incorrect) in that section, but not enough to achieve a growth point greater than 0.
- A foundation detour report is now available.
- Strategies are now required for some questions, a message alerting users to 'please select a strategy' will appear for questions requiring a strategy to calculate a growth point if the required field is left blank.
Schools will be kept informed of further improvements to MOI functionality throughout 2018.
Schools are also reminded to keep CASES21 teacher, class and student data up to date for Foundation level students, to ensure the data is accurate on the insight platform, allowing for efficient delivery of MOI assessments. For further support, please either:
- Log a request via the service gateway
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Phone the service desk on 1800 641 943
About the MOI
The MOI is used by teachers in a one-on-one interview situation to determine students’ existing mathematical knowledge in relation to growth points, which can be described as key "stepping stones" along paths to mathematical understanding. Analysis of student responses provides teachers with powerful information to use when planning to meet student learning needs.
The interview was developed as part of the Early Numeracy Research Project (1999-2001). The interview consists of appropriate hands-on assessment tasks where students demonstrate mathematical understanding and preferred strategies for solving increasingly complex tasks.
For more information on the early numeracy research project growth points see Framework of Mathematical Learning.
The updated MOI will be available in 2018 on the Insight Assessment Platform.
Mapping the interview to the Victorian Curriculum
The following document links tasks from the MOI to the Early Numeracy Research Project (ENRP) growth points, the achievement standard, content description and Levels Foundation to 5 of the Victorian Curriculum F-10: mathematics. Please note the following document is currently under review and will be updated soon.
Mapping the mathematics online interview to the Victorian Curriculum F - 10: mathematics (docx - 998.01kb)
Mapping the mathematics online interview to the Victorian Curriculum F - 10: mathematics (pdf - 1.23mb)
MOI user guide and tip sheet
Interview checklist and resources
The following document lists the equipment and support material required for each section of the interview. Some materials will need to be prepared before the interviews commence:
Mathematics online interview checklist and new resources (pdf - 1.2mb)