The Mathematics Developmental Continuum F–10 provides evidence based indicators of progress, linked to powerful teaching strategies, aligned to the progression points and the achievement standards of AusVELS Mathematics.
Indicators of progress are points on the learning continuum that highlight critical understandings required by students in order to progress through the AusVELS achievement standards.
The Mathematics Developmental Continuum F–10 will assist teachers to:
- deepen understandings of the Mathematics domain
- enhance teaching skills to enable purposeful teaching
- identify the range of student learning levels within their Mathematics classes
- monitor individual student progress towards AusVELS Mathematics achievement standards
- develop a shared language to describe and discuss student progress.
About the Mathematics Developmental Continuum F–10
Effective mathematics teaching relies on knowledge of students’ pre-existing ideas and the implementation of effective strategies to support students to develop more sophisticated mathematical understandings.
The Mathematics Developmental Continuum F-10 was developed by a team of expert mathematics education researchers, led by Professor Kaye Stacey from The University of Melbourne. The team has extensive experience into learning and teaching in mathematics; all team members have had extensive classroom teaching experience.
The University of Melbourne
- Lynda Ball
- Helen Chick
- Catherine Pearn
- Kaye Stacey
- Vicki Steinle
Mathematics Association of Victoria