From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
This module focuses on the processes of enquiry, explanation and investigation involved in mathematics. This module provides examples of mathematical problem solving which enrich the student experience of learning mathematics while engaging in challenging and intriguing problems. The module also introduces several of the resources accessible from the
Mathematics Domain page
Having a good appreciation of working mathematically is an important part of achievement in mathematics. Moreover, the processes of investigation, enquiry and explanation involved build each student’s capacity as a learner. These are all important outcomes of schooling. This module explores these processes in the context of some intriguing mathematical problems.
The module contains examples from:
- Overview of two international frameworks for a balanced mathematics curriculum
- Overview of ‘Working mathematically’ dimension
- Working mathematically – Arithmagons problem
- Working mathematically – Factors problem
- Linking Principles of Learning and Teaching and ‘Working mathematically’
- Linking Interpersonal, Personal, Thinking Processes domains and ‘Working mathematically’
Download Module 8 workshop booklet and presentation
To use Module 8, first save the booklet and PowerPoint presentation to your computer.
Links to Principles of Learning and Teaching P–12
Principle 1: The learning environment is supportive and productive.
Principle 2: The learning environment promotes independence, interdependence and self motivation. The teacher encourages and supports students to take responsibility for their learning and uses strategies that build skills of productive collaboration.
Principle 4: Students are challenged and supported to develop deep levels of thinking and application applying strategies that:
- challenge and support students to question and reflect
- develop investigating and problem solving skills
- foster imagination and creativity.
Additional resources needed for this module
Indicators of Progress