Structured workplace learning provides students with the opportunity to integrate practical on-the-job experience and learnings in industry with nationally recognised VET undertaken as part of either the VCE or the VCAL; VCE Industry and Enterprise; or VCAL units. It provides the context for:
- enhanced skill development
- practical application of industry knowledge
- assessment of units of competency
- achievement of some learning outcomes for VCE studies or VCAL units, and
- enhanced employment opportunities.
Amendments to Ministerial Order 55 and Arrangement Forms
Ministerial Order 55 for school students undertaking structured workplace learning will be amended from 1 January 2017. Amended arrangement forms accompany amended Ministerial Order 55.
Making arrangements for 2017
The amendments do not apply to any placement occurring between 1 January 2017 - 31 December 2017 if the arrangement was made on or before 31 December 2016. Any arrangement made (meaning all parties have completed and signed the relevant sections of the arrangement form) on or before 31 December 2016 must comply with the current Ministerial Order 55 and the current arrangement forms must be used.
Current Ministerial Order 55, arrangement forms and supporting resources
All arrangements made after 1 January 2017 must comply with the amended Ministerial Order 55 and the accompanying amended arrangement forms must be used.
Schools seeking to arrange placements for students in 2017 before 31 December 2016 may choose to commence using the amended arrangement forms. In these instances, the arrangement must not be fully made (i.e. the principal must not complete and sign the arrangement form) before 1 January 2017 and the amended Ministerial Order 55 will apply.
Amended Ministerial Order 55, arrangement forms and supporting resources
Additional Structured Workplace Learning Resources
Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) Statewide Portal
The Department has established the SWL Statewide Portal, a website which provides students and teachers with a single, easy to navigate, information and referral point for structured workplace learning opportunities offered by a diverse range of employers. Searching on the portal can be done by location, industry or VET certificate. If you are a student or teacher looking for structured workplace learning opportunities, visit the SWL Statewide Portal
For assistance with any queries relating to the SWL Statewide Portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The 31 Local Learning and Employment Networks (LLENs) have been funded to facilitate student access to structured workplace learning placements which are tailored to local priorities and employment opportunities. To find out more about this service, contact your nearest Local Learning and Employment Network
Occupational Health and Safety
Principals must be satisfied that a student is either undertaking or has completed occupational health and safety (OHS) training prior to commencing structured workplace learning as follows:
- Where a student is undertaking structured workplace learning as part of a VET program within VCE or VCAL, the principal must be satisfied that the student is undertaking or has completed the OHS training unit of competency within the VET program.
- Where a student is undertaking structured workplace learning which is not part of a VET program, or structured workplace learning which is not related to their VET program within VCE or VCAL, the principal must be satisfied that the student has completed an OHS program required by the Department as follows:
- If the student is undertaking VCE Industry and Enterprise, they must complete safe@work
- If the student is undertaking VCAL, they must complete Work Related Skills Unit 1 and safe@work
To access OHS resources, see Occupational Health and Safety
For assistance with queries relating to structured workplace learning arrangements, please contact the relevant organisation as outlined below.