From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Structured workplace learning provides students with the opportunity to integrate practical on-the-job experience and learnings in industry with nationally recognised VET undertaken as part of either the VCE or the VCAL; VCE Industry and Enterprise; or VCAL units. It provides the context for:
- Enhanced skill development
- practical application of industry knowledge
- assessment of units of competency
- achievement of some learning outcomes for VCE studies or VCAL units, and
- enhanced employment opportunities.
Ministerial Order 55 and Arrangement Forms
Ministerial Order 55 for school students undertaking structured workplace learning has been amended and commenced operation on 1 January 2017. Amended arrangement forms accompany amended Ministerial Order 55.
All arrangements made after 1 January 2017 must comply with amended Ministerial Order 55 and the accompanying amended arrangement forms must be used.
Additional Structured Workplace Learning Resources
SWL Statewide Portal
The Department has established the SWL Statewide Portal, a website which provides students and teachers with a single, easy to navigate, information and referral point for structured workplace learning opportunities offered by a diverse range of employers. Searching on the portal can be done by location, industry or VET certificate. If you are a student or teacher looking for structured workplace learning opportunities, see: SWL Statewide Portal
For assistance with any queries relating to the SWL Statewide Portal, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 31 Local Learning and Employment Networks (LLENs) have been funded to facilitate student access to structured workplace learning placements which are tailored to local priorities and employment opportunities. To find your nearest network, see: Local Learning and Employment Network
Occupational Health and Safety
Principals must be satisfied that a student is either undertaking or has completed occupational health and safety (OHS) training prior to commencing structured workplace learning as follows:
- Where a student is undertaking structured workplace learning as part of a VET program within VCE or VCAL, the principal must be satisfied that the student is undertaking or has completed the OHS training unit of competency within the VET program.
- Where a student is undertaking structured workplace learning which is not part of a VET program, or structured workplace learning which is not related to their VET program within VCE or VCAL, the principal must be satisfied that the student has completed an OHS program required by the Department as follows:
- If the student is undertaking VCE Industry and Enterprise, they must complete safe@work
- If the student is undertaking VCAL, they must complete Work Related Skills Unit 1 and safe@work
To access OHS resources, see: Occupational Health and Safety
For assistance with queries relating to structured workplace learning arrangements, please contact the relevant organisation as outlined below.