From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
The Principles of Learning and Teaching articulate six principles that can be used by schools, teams of teachers and individuals to reflect on practice and support professional dialogue to strengthen pedagogical practices.
Principles Unpacked provide detailed explanations and teaching examples for each of the principles.
The six principles
The Principles of Learning and Teaching P-12 (PoLT) Online Professional Learning Resource has been designed to support deeper understanding of the Principles. The Resource focuses primarily on extending teacher knowledge and supporting the development of skills to be implemented in classrooms.
The Resource covers all the Principles and their components, except for Principle 5, which is addressed in the Assessment Professional Learning Modules.
The principles state that students learn best when:
- the learning environment is supportive and productive
- the learning environment promotes independence, interdependence and self-motivation
- students’ needs, backgrounds, perspectives and interests are reflected in the learning program
- students are challenged and supported to develop deep levels of thinking and application
- assessment practices are an integral part of teaching and learning
- learning connects strongly with communities and practice beyond the classroom.
The principles will help you to:
- build consistent, comprehensive and improved pedagogical approaches within and across schools, while still allowing flexibility, innovation and local decision making at the school level
- focus teaching to meet the diverse needs of students
- strengthen learning communities within and beyond the school.
For detailed explanations and teaching examples for each of the six principles, see:
Principles of Learning and Teaching P-12 Unpacked
PoLT Online Professional Learning Resource
PoLT Online Professional Learning Resource - contains additional support for each principle.