EAL Developmental Continuum P-10
From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
The EAL Developmental Continuum P–10 provides evidence based indicators of progress, linked to practical teaching strategies, to support the assessment of EAL students and the development of effective learning programs for the many students in Victorian schools who are learning English as a second or additional language.
Indicators of progress are points on the learning continuum that highlight critical understandings required by students in order to progress through the standards.
The EAL Developmental Continuum P–10 will assist teachers to:
- deepen understandings of the broad stages of English language development
- enhance teaching skills to enable purposeful teaching
- identify the range of student learning levels
- monitor individual student progress
- develop a shared language to describe and discuss student progress.
- Lower Primary (Years P – 2) – contains progression profiles, standards, indicators of progress and some student work samples relevant to Stages A1 and A2.
- Middle – Upper Primary (Years 3 – 6) – contains progression profiles, standards, indicators of progress and some student work samples relevant to Stages BL, B1, B2 and B3.
- Secondary (Years 7 – 10) – contains progression profiles, standards, indicators of progress and some student work samples relevant to Stages SL, S1, S2, S3 and S4.
- Teaching strategies – provide a range of practical ways of supporting the English learning of EAL students. Each of the listed strategies identifies the dimension/s on which it is focused (Speaking and Listening, Reading, Writing), the EAL stages for which it is most useful, its purpose, the steps involved in using it, and how it is particularly helpful EAL for students.