Level 1 - Obtain your own school's data
From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Who should manage the Student Mapping Tool in your school?
The Student Mapping Tool is most effective when it is managed by a member of your school’s leadership team – i.e. the Principal or an Assistant Principal.
- Only a member of the school leadership team can ensure that the data in the Tool is used to inform medium and long-term strategic planning.
- Only a member of the leadership team has the authority to request data from all staff involved in brokering or delivering the school’s support programs.
- Only a member of the leadership team can decide who is authorised to view the data, and under what circumstances it can be shared with external agencies.
Downloading your data
With the following step-by-step instructions, you will be able to download your school’s data from the CASES21 database. You only need to use these instructions once. After that you can update or ‘refresh’ your data with the click of a button.
- About half-way through the step-by-step instructions you will be required to enter a Seamless Views password. Before you start the download process, please email the DEECD Service Desk using your school’s email account and request the Student Mapping Tool password (N.B. The password changed with the introduction of Version 44 of CASES21, but has not changed since).
- You need to be on a workstation (computer) that is linked to CASES21. This usually means the computers in the Principal’s office and the main administration office. The person downloading the data should be someone with authority to enter and view data on CASES21. If you encounter any difficulty in using the Tool, the DEECD Service Desk will only deal with someone with this authority.
- Download the Extraction Guide (PDF - 5 (pdf - 4.73mb). It is easier to follow this Guide if you have it printed out in hardcopy beside you. The Guide covers the following:
- Does my workstation have the software I need to use the Student Mapping Tool?
- How do I download my school’s data?
- What other steps do I need to take to download NAPLAN data and VASS data (if applicable)?
- Do I have to go through all this every time I want to update the data?
- How do I get help if I need it?
- How do I print my spreadsheet?
- Follow the instructions in the Extraction Guide (PDF - 5 (pdf - 4.73mb) around downloading NAPLAN and VASS data.
- Schools should see the Extraction Guide for detailed instructions on downloading NAPLAN data. The instructions include information on downloading data from the NAPLAN web site, unzipping the files and saving them with the required naming convention.
- Secondary and P-12 schools will need to speak with their school VASS Administrator about downloading VASS data for the Tool, as per the instructions in the Extraction Guide. Once the downloaded file has been saved, you will need to follow the instructions to save the date with the required naming convention.
If you find at any time that the data in the Tool is not refreshing properly, follow the instructions in the Extraction Guide (PDF - 5 (pdf - 4.73mb) to re-install Seamless Views on your server. This should remedy the problem.
You are now ready to download your school’s information into the Tool’s Excel spreadsheet. Remember that once the information has been extracted, you are no longer linked to CASES21. Making changes on the spreadsheet will not change the data held in CASES21.
Download the current version of the Student Mapping Tool:
If you need further assistance with the Student Mapping Tool, please contact: