Assessment and reporting are vital processes that provide information about what students know and can do, allowing teachers to make recommendations for their future learning.
The information in this section covers Foundation to Year 10 assessment and student reporting. For information supporting Year 11 to 12 assessment, see:
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)
All Victorian government schools are required to report on student achievement against the Victorian Curriculum or the AusVELS achievement standards for every student at least twice a year using common sense student reports. The reports are written in plain English, giving parents a clearer picture of their child’s progress and achievement against clearly defined learning standards.
This section provides information to assist schools to:
- develop student reports to suit schools' and individual student's needs
- help teachers write student reports that are concise, clear and comprehensive
- support Report Coordinators in their duties.
The following suite of validated online assessment tools is available for teachers to use on-demand with students at any time during the year to suit the teaching program.
English Online Interview (EOI) – provides teachers with a powerful tool for assessing the English skills of students in Prep to Year 2. This assessment is mandated for Prep students.
Diagnostic Assessment Tools in English (DATE) – helps teachers to clarify or elaborate on the data obtained from the English Online Interview. DATE assesses the three modes of AusVELS English and includes early literacy and monitoring progress tools designed for use with students in Prep to Year 2.
Mathematics Online Interview (MOI) – supports teachers to assess the mathematical understanding and preferred strategies for solving increasingly complex tasks of learners in the early years of schooling.
- Specific Mathematics Assessments that Reveal Thinking (SMART) - provides teachers with an informative diagnosis of their students' conceptual understanding of most of the topics in the middle years' (years 5 to 9) mathematics. The research-based diagnosis is provided back to the teacher immediately. This information is concise, readily useable by teachers, and is linked to targeted teaching resources. It is designed to aid teachers in their planning and to complement the summative topic testing regularly used by teachers.
Fractions and Decimals Online Interview (FDOI) – allows teachers to better understand their students' knowledge, skills and behaviours with regard to fractions and decimals. For use with students in the Middle Years of schooling.
Abilities Based Learning and Education Support (ABLES) assessment tools – enables teachers of students with disabilities and additional learning needs to compile a comprehensive profile of their student's strengths and abilities in the learning areas of English and Personal and Social Capability. The tools assist teachers as they develop their classroom programs.
- EAL Assessment and Reporting - provides a framework for assessing student achievement and developing effective learning programs for the many students in Victorian schools who are learning English as an additional language.
Critical and Creative Thinking Assessment Tool – allows teachers to map learner achievement to progress learning against the three stages of the Critical and Creative Thinking continuum (CCT). For use with students in Years 1-10.
Health and Physical Education Assessments– supports teachers to evaluate their students' knowledge and skills in the AusVELS dimensions of
Health knowledge and promotion and
Movement and physical activity. For use with students in Years 3-4, Years 7-8 and Years 9-10.
Tools to Enhance Assessment Literacy (TEAL) – supports teachers to assess all EAL learners in Victorian schools including those from a refugee background, EAL learners born in Australia or overseas and fee paying international students.
On Demand Testing – provides teachers with tests to use when, where and how they choose to assess student achievement in Years 3-10. Tests are designed to link to curriculum and achievement standards.
For information, advice and ideas about effective assessment practices, see:
VCAA Insight Assess Portal