From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Teachers participating in an excursion should:
- understand the purpose of the program and its connection to student learning
- be aware of their supervisory responsibilities throughout the program, see:
Excursion support - supervision
- know who is the nominated member of staff who will provide first aid if required, see:
Excursion support - first aid
- know the exact location of students they are responsible for at all times including during travel.
In addition the nominated teacher-in-charge should:
- know the exact location of students at all times including during travel
- maintain a record of telephone contacts for the supervising staff accompanying the excursion
- know who the school contact person is and their phone number
- have a copy of the names of family contacts for all students and staff on the excursion
- have copies of the parental approval and medical advice forms for those students on the excursion
- maintain a copy of the completed approval proforma (including all attachments) submitted to the school council, see:
Approval pro forma (docx - 71.31kb)
- have submitted a notification of school activity using the
Student Activity Locator online form three weeks prior to the excursion, see: Student Activity Locator online form(EduMail password required).
The following materials are essential to guiding the planning and approval process:
If a teacher does not have detailed knowledge of and outdoor or adventure activities, it is recommended they seek further information and advice from:
Read the Emergency and Risk Management policy
- Activity peak bodies, see:
- Other teachers with recent experience instructing the activity who can offer an understanding of both the technical requirements and the educational context.
Available in the School Policy and Advisory Guide