From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
The principal is responsible for the approval of all non-adventure single-day excursions other than those that must approved by the
Before the program commences the principal should have a copy of all the approval documentation. This includes detailed information that may be needed in an emergency such as:
- the exact location of the excursion participants at all times, including during travel
- the relevant telephone number/s through which excursion staff may be contacted in an emergency
- the names and family contacts for all students and staff
- copies of the parental consent and medical advice forms of students
- a copy of the program's emergency response plan
Planning the excursion
To support your planning and to ensure you have met your responsibilities, use the
Principal checklist (doc - 71.04kb).
To begin planning your excursion, go to
Principals must understand the common law responsibilities of school personnel, see:
Read the Emergency and Risk Management policy
- Activity peak bodies -
- Other teachers with recent experience instructing the activity who can offer an understanding of both the technical requirements and the educational context.
Available in the School Policy and Advisory Guide