Out-of-Home Care and Homelessness

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

​​Out-of-Home Care

For every student in out-of-home care, the Department requires schools to: 

Out-of-home care (OOHC) is a living arrangement for children and young people who cannot live in their family home. In Victoria, more than half of the 8,500 children and young people living in out-of-home care are school aged.

The following resources should be used to support the teaching of children and young people in out-of-home care. The information complements the Partnering Agreement: Out-of-Home Care Education Commitment. See: Requirements for out-of-home care providers


If you have significant concerns for the wellbeing of a child or young person you are encouraged to report your concerns to DHS Child Protection or Child FIRST. For more information on roles and responsibilities in protecting children and young people, including how to report your concerns, see: Child Protection- Mandatory Reporting

If you are concerned about a student who is at risk of or experiencing homelessness and/ or are wanting advice or information, please call: 1800 825 955 - 24 hour, statewide, toll free number.

This number will direct your call to a service closest to you, or if the call is outside business hours, it will be directed to Salvation Army Crisis Services.

If you are concerned that a child is experiencing family violence and/ or are wanting advice or information, you can contact the Women's Domestic Violence Crisis Service on (03) 9322 3555 or toll free 1800 015 188 (24 hours).

For more information on getting help, see: Homelessness and Family Violence - getting help