Interstate and Overseas Qualifications

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

​​Many qualifications gained from interstate or overseas tertiary institutions are recognised for teaching in Victorian government schools. Studies must provide a suitable background for the curriculum areas to be taught. For details on the minimum qualifications required for specialist subject teachers see Victorian Institute of Teaching: Specialist Area Guidelines

However, before commencing employment you must be registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Teachers registered in New Zealand or by an interstate teacher registration authority may apply for registration in Victoria on the basis of mutual recognition. If you have not completed your teacher education qualifications at an Australian institution or in English, you will be required to undertake an English language test. You will not be required to undertake the test until all your qualifications have been assessed and you will then be advised if you need the test by the Victorian Institute of Teaching. For detailed information see: Victorian Institute of Teaching

Visa requirements

If you are not an Australian citizen you will require permanent residence status in Australia to gain employment as a teacher in Victorian government schools. Similarly if you are visiting Victoria a work permit that covers the type and period of employment is required. Citizens of New Zealand - while regarded as Australian citizens for employment purposes - are required to provide evidence of their New Zealand citizenship.

The principal of a school where you are seeking to teach will need evidence that you have obtained the appropriate visa or work permit, before completing employment procedures.


Detailed information on application procedures for migration and all visa requirements are available online from the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship

If required, this information is available from Australian embassies, high commissions and consulates in overseas. Valuable information and services are also provided by the Victorian Government's Skilled Migration Unit

The Department cannot sponsor or offer employment in support of applications for residency status or work permits unless you have specifically applied for and secured a position advertised through the Department's Recruitment Online system or advertised through the Australian or international press.

More information