From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Some schools can apply for incentive funding to attract graduate teachers. The funding can be offered as a cash payment as part of an ongoing employment offer. This is known as the 'New Graduate Incentive'.
Vacancies with a New Graduate Incentive are advertised on
The peak advertising period is from August to December for commencement in the new school year.
For schools, see:
Incentives to attract graduate teachers
Search for incentive vacancies
We recommend you familiarise yourself with the three categories of incentives on offer and the likely work locations, taking into account your subject area expertise and preferences.
You can search for the New Graduate Incentive vacancies on Recruitment Online in two ways:
- Do a ‘real time’ search (i.e. a search for currently listed vacancies) through the job search link:
- Use the advanced search functionality and check 'Teacher' in the job categories section
- Select 'New Graduate Incentive' from the job classification preference link
- Enterany other appropriate search criteria under locations and Subjects/Duties that will match to your preferences.
- You can save the job search criteria by clicking the ‘save search’ button. You then give the search an appropriate name, then click on ‘use as job agent’ box. You will also need to provide a nominated email address then finally click ‘save search’. This will alert you via an email message to any advertised incentive vacancy that meets your criteria.
Apply for an advertised vacancy
When you have identified a suitable incentive vacancy you need to:
- Read the job description to gain an understanding of job requirements.
- Save job.
- Prepare a statement addressing each of the key selection criteria as an attachment.
- Apply for the saved job and upload the key selection criteria attachment.
- Ensure that your resume is up to date before submitting.
Lodge an online resume
You may also choose to lodge your resume on the Recruitment Online job seeker register (talent pool). Principals considering recruiting a new graduate are able to search the job seeker register (talent pool) for suitable candidates online, prior to advertising a New Graduate Incentive vacancy.
If you are successful you are sent a New Graduate Incentive agreement by the principal with a letter of offer to participate in the New Graduate Incentive program.
Your employment is subject to:
- a satisfactory police records check
- satisfying pre-employment medical requirements
- gaining Provisional Teacher Registration from the Victorian Institute of Teaching
- a probationary period.
You can accept the offer of an incentive by signing and returning the New Graduate Incentive Agreement, which includes acceptance of the terms and conditions:
- An obligation to commence employment at the school from the prescribed commencement date
- An obligation to teach in a Victorian government school for a period of two years or more from the date of commencement of employment
- The standard employment conditions that apply to all teaching service staff employed by the Department.
Incentive payments are paid as a lump sum payment conditional on signing the New Graduate Incentive Agreement. Payment is generally made within six weeks of receipt of the necessary documentation.
If you are awarded a category 1 or category 2 incentive you will receive your retention bonus after completing three years and two months of employment (excluding unpaid leave) at the school to which you were originally appointed.
The initial incentive payment and any subsequent retention bonus would contribute to your taxable income in the tax year in which it is received. It is your responsibility to seek advice from the Australian Taxation Office.
Revocation of the incentive
If you do not complete at least two years employment as a teacher with the Department (excluding periods of unpaid leave as defined in the agreemant), you may be required to repay some or all of the incentive payment.
For further information or advice, contact