Study Options

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

Year 12 studies

The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre - VTAC guide provides specific information relating to course entry and selection. 

Primary teachers are generally expected to teach in seven key learning areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Technology, Health and Physical Education, The Arts, and Studies of Society and Environment. Some primary teachers are also qualified to teach a Language other than English (LOTE). Try to include a range of these subjects in your VCE and university studies.

As a secondary teacher, you will probably specialise in subjects that you like and are good at. Choose VCE subjects on this basis, but if you are also considering primary or P-12 teaching, a wide range of subjects is preferred. If you are studying a LOTE subject or music at VCE, consider continuing on with that over three years at university.

Special education teachers may be generalists or specialise in particular special education field. Try to include a range of subjects in your VCE.

Where can I study teaching?

Universities in Melbourne and regional centres offer teaching courses, and many interstate universities also have options. The Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) website provides a complete list of courses approved for teacher registration and employment in Victorian schools.

Access details of approved pre-service education courses currently offered by Victorian universities information does not include previous courses, which no longer take enrolments, but which continue to be accepted as approved courses for those seeking employment. Some courses provide the option of qualifying as both a primary and a secondary teacher. See VIT: Approved Teacher Education Programs 

University websites provide access to the latest course information. When exploring these sites look for web pages or links such as ‘courses’, ‘undergraduate handbooks’, ‘postgraduate handbooks’, and ‘general information’.

The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre publishes an annual guide to course prerequisites, entry and selection. The guide is published annually and is available through newsagents from July or on VTAC

You should also check university information about the nature and structure of the courses being offered. If you are looking to qualify to teach in a primary specialist area, as both a primary and secondary teacher, or as a special education teacher, your studies must also provide a suitable background for what you wish to teach. For detail see: Qualifications assessment service

Special education teaching

There are initial teacher education undergraduate pathways to become a special education teachers as well as postgraduate pathways for qualified teachers who wish to gain further qualifications in special education. Many universities offer flexible study options, including off-campus, vacation and weekend class schedules that may be attractive to some. You should also check university information about the nature and structure of the courses offered. 

For details of Victorian courses endorsed by the Victorian Institute of Teaching and to access to University websites see: Accredited initial teacher education programs

Support while studying

You may be eligible for one of a number of available support payment schemes while you are studying.  Various  schemes are coordinated by Centrelink, to access the latest information contact your local office, or see: Centrelink - Payments While You are Studying or Training

There is also a range of scholarships available that provide assistance to students during their primary or secondary schooling and with tertiary study. To review detailed information see: Student Scholarships

There are also a number of scholarships that provide benefits to encourage people to complete teacher education courses and also start their careers in areas of need.  To access the details see: Scholarships and Incentives