How to Get Qualified

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

There are a number of ways to qualify as a primary, secondary, special education or early childhood teacher.

If you are at school or considering tertiary study - you can go on to complete a four-year undergraduate teacher education degree or childhood qualification: a double-degree program where you study for two degrees at the same time, with one of these being a teacher education course or childhood qualification; or and an academic degree and then do a one or two-year postgraduate teacher education or childhood qualification course. For early childhood teaching, you can also complete an approved diploma in children’s services followed by a ‘pathways’ course, which allows you to complete a degree in early childhood education.

If you are at university or have already completed a degree - you can go on to complete a one or two-year postgraduate teacher education or early childhood course.

If you are a qualified teacher from interstate or overseas - your qualifications may already be recognised for teaching in Victorian government schools.

If you have industry experience - there is another pathway for secondary teaching. You can gain industry qualification and experience in a vocational area and link this with a teaching qualification. This is most applicable to teaching in the technology studies or vocational education areas (e.g. qualifications and experience in trades such as automotive systems, woodwork, metals, electronics or hospitality combined with the completion of an approved qualification in technology education).

More information

There is detailed information on each of these pathways in: