High quality professional learning is one of the cornerstones of an effective school. It enables staff to develop the skills and knowledge they need to improve their practice and is central to improving student learning.
Like the members of other professions, teachers and education support staff need to be continuous learners who see their own learning as being fundamental to membership of the profession rather than something that is incidental or optional.
There is a range of professional learning programs and resources available for teachers and education support staff including awards, fellowships, and curriculum-focused professional learning. These are underpinned by the Seven Principles of Highly Effective Professional Learning which call for professional learning that is collaborative, embedded in practice and aimed at bridging the gap between what students are capable of doing and actual student performance.
For more information, see: Seven Principles of Highly Effective Professional Learning (PDF - 503Kb) (pdf - 502.72kb)
Programs and courses
- Mentoring - a mutually beneficial partnership between a more experienced teacher and a beginning or returning teacher. Includes a program for those keen to share their experience by becoming a mentor.
- Asia Education Foundation (AEF) Leader/Teacher Study Tours - providing more opportunities for Victorian government school leaders and educators to develop their professional practice through participation in overseas study programs to countries in the Asian region.
- Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership - offers professional development programs for principals, teachers and school leaders to develop their leadership capacity.
- Victorian Deaf Education Institute - the Department is committed to improving educational outcomes for deaf and hard of hearing children and young people from birth to 18 years throughout Victoria.
Subject specific programs and courses
- Professional Development - Professional development opportunities on the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority website available for principals, teachers and school administration staff.
- Supporting Digital Learning - Includes information, advice, resources and professional learning opportunities to assist you to plan and embed the use of digital technologies for learning across your school
- On Demand Webinars – A searchable archive containing recordings of past web conferences that have been run for teacher professional learning on subjects including English, Maths, ICT and Science’
- Upcoming Webinars – A list of free professional learning opportunities which you can access from anywhere with an internet connection, using web conferencing software