School openings, closures and asset disposal

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

School openings and the completion of major building works are significant events for the school community.

School and project openings

Upper Ferntree Gully school

Schools must organise official openings for all major capital works valued at $100,000 or more. Appropriate ministers – whether State and/or Commonwealth (depending on the source of funding for a project) – are invited to attend opening ceremonies or to send a representative. Schools should liaise with their regional offices regarding formal invitations. Where a completed project is an early part of a larger multi-stage development, the opening can be deferred until the completion of an appropriate stage.

School closures

In some instances, a school community may determine that it is in the best interests of its students to close and transfer students and teachers to other appropriate schools. In cases where enrolments fall below a viable number for school operation and curriculum delivery, schools need to consider the options of closing, merging, being declared remote, or of operating for an approved period of time with a less than tenable enrolment before making a recommendation to the Minister for Education.

Asset disposal

Harrow PS old campus

Asset disposal is considered within an overall planning framework that accounts for changing priorities and the need to steer resources where they are most needed. In conjunction with regional offices, the process necessarily involves local community consultation.

Non-real estate assets

In relation to 'non-real estate' assets, the Department ensures that furniture and equipment is appropriately dispersed, that student records are archived, and that all school memorabilia is stored or forwarded to relevant community organisations.

Relocatable classrooms

Classrooms are the property of the Department and may be removed from one site to another if the 'donor' site has an over-entitlement of teaching space.

Schools receive notice at least four weeks before the actual removal, and the Department provides contractors to attend to all remedial site works.

Real estate disposal

Disposal is managed by the Department’s Infrastructure and Sustainability Division. School sites and buildings are disposed of in accordance with guidelines issued by the Government Land Monitor (Department of Planning and Community Development).

A site that is declared surplus is initially offered to other government departments, then to the local government authority for purchase at a market price determined by the Valuer General. If neither government departments or local council have an interest in the site, it is rezoned (if necessary) and offered for sale through public tender or auction.

Funds from the disposal of land are returned to the Department's capital works program and reinvested in other educational facilities.