From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
The Parent Opinion Survey is an annual survey offered by the Department of Education and Training that is conducted with a sample of randomly selected parents at each school.
It is designed to assist schools in gaining an understanding of parents’ perception of school climate, student engagement and relationships with parent communities. Schools use the survey results to help inform and direct future school planning and improvement strategies.
The Department is excited to announce a refreshed Parent Opinion Survey for 2017.
The refreshed survey seeks parent opinion on measures of school climate, student engagement and effective teaching practice known to influence student engagement and student outcomes.
The refreshed survey is aligned with the Framework for Improving Student Outcomes and the refreshed Attitudes to School Survey and will provide schools with actionable insights in key elements for school improvement.
The 2017 survey will be conducted online by
ORIMA Research Pty Ltd and only takes
15 minutes to complete. The survey can be accessed via desktop computer, laptop, tablet or mobile at any convenient time within the fieldwork period from
Monday 7 August to
Sunday 27 August.
An online survey for 2017
The survey is administered from a secure online survey portal to provide the following benefits to schools and parents:
- parents can complete the survey from any device connected to the internet at a time convenient to them during the survey period
- schools will be able to access their own survey results from the portal, shortening the turn-around time on survey results
- schools are no longer required to manage and return paper data forms.
What is required from my school to participate in the online survey?
ORIMA Research Pty Ltd has been contracted by the Department to administer the online collection of the Parent Opinion Survey with all schools in 2017.
- schools will be sent a link to the secure survey portal from ORIMA Research at the start of term 3. This is the same portal that schools used for the Attitudes to School Survey
- the link will provide access to a secure administration site for your school on the survey portal
- the nominated administrator will interact with the survey portal on behalf of the school
- the administrator's role is to generate the parent sample using CASES21 and distribute the unique school survey link to the random sample of parents selected to complete the survey.
2017 Parent Opinion Survey - instructions (docx - 100.07kb)
Administrators will be supported through a telephone and email helpline, as well as detailed step by step guides available from the portal or by emailing:
Survey completion by parents
- the school will provide parents with the survey link in a secure manner.
- parents log-in to the secure site and complete the survey online.
ORIMA Research will provide support for schools throughout the survey period from Wednesday 19 July to the end of August through a telephone helpline and an email support option.
Communication to parents
Participation in the Parent Opinion Survey is compulsory for all schools. Schools can access sample newsletter text from the secure survey portal.
Parent Opinion Survey
frequently asked questions
If you have queries, email: