Scientific Procedures Premises Licence

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

​​​​Before a school uses animals for teaching purposes, it needs to be covered by a Scientific Procedures Premises Licence.

The Victorian Schools Animal Ethics Committee assists Victorian schools comply with relevant legislation in the responsible care for animals used in teaching. The VSAEC is available to all Government, Catholic and Independent primary and secondary schools statewide.

Government sch​ools

Only one SPPL is required for all schools within the Department of Education and Training, which is one legal entity. 

This SPPL is maintained by the Department. There is no need for Government schools to apply.

Catholic and In​dependent schools

Catholic and Independent schools are required to individually apply for a licence, free of charge, before they can use animals for teaching.

SPPL application forms are available from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries

Once an SPPL has been obtained from the Department of Primary Industries schools are then required to send a copy of their licence to to be registered for use of the Care and Use of Animals Approval and Reporting System. 

Confirmation of registration will be sent to schools at which point they can access the system using their Edumail (or Eduweb) account details to log on, see: How to Use the Approval and Reporting System

Related legislation

For more information see: