Privacy statement

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

The LOOKOUT Centre collects and stores information about children and young people of school age who are enrolled in Victorian government, Catholic and Independent schools.​​​

To download this information as a factsheet, see:

What information does the LO​OKOUT Centre collect about me?

 Information the LOOKOUT centre collects includes:
  • names, addresses, dates of birth and contact details
  • living arrangements (kinship, foster or residential care)
  • school or program in which student is enrolled
  • year level
  • whether a student has an Individual Education Plan, Student Support Group, and Learning Mentor.

Where has my information come from?

The LOOKOUT Centre draws information from school and child protection records on the CASES21 (school) and CRIS/CRISSP (child protection) systems. In most cases consent has been given by you, your parent or your guardian for this information to be provided to your school or your child protection worker. 

Why does the LOOKOUT Centre collect information about me?

The LOOKOUT Centre collects this information so it has a full record of the care and education status of each student living in out-of-home care. This information enables the Centre to work with schools and case workers to make sure you have the best possible support in your education.

What is it used for?

The LOOKOUT Centre uses information to:
  • monitor student enrolment and make sure that students are well supported to achieve at school
  • make sure that students have everything that they are entitled to under the Education Commitment: Partnering Agreement. For more information, see Partnering Agreement Roles and Responsibilities
  • know when students are changing school and make sure that transition is as smooth and successful as possible
  • advocate for the best enrolment options for students in out-of-home care.

Who does the LOOKOUT Centre give my information to?

Your information is only shared with another school when your enrolment changes, or with DHHS if your care arrangements change. Research is sometimes conducted on how the LOOKOUT Centre can better provide support but we don’t pass this information on to anyone else in a way that can identify you.

Under the Privacy and Data Protection Act, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Education and Training may be allowed by law to collect and share your information without your knowledge and consent. This includes when someone’s safety or welfare is at risk, such as if someone may have been or is at risk of being the victim of violence, or if someone is behaving in a way that shows that they are at risk of hurting themselves or others. 

The LOOKOUT Centre might also share your information in order to fulfil certain legal obligations that the Department of Education and Training has. This might include making sure that, if you change schools, your new school has a copy of your Individual Education Plan and student record so your school is ready for when you enrol and knows enough about you and your learning to make sure you settle in quickly. This might mean checking the Victorian Student Register or talking with a Health and Education Assessment Coordinator in the Department of Health and Human Services.

How can I get access to my personal information?

If you want to access your personal information you can contact the Principal of your LOOKOUT Centre. 

If you want to see the information that child protection has collected about you, talk to your child protection worker. They may be able to show it to you or talk to you about it unless this is prevented by the law. 

The Department of Health and Human Services’ Freedom of Information Unit can be contacted on (03) 9096 8449. 

The Department of Education and Training’s Freedom of Information Unit can be contacted by:

If I want to make a complaint, how can I do that?

If you want to make a complaint regarding how your personal information is managed by the LOOKOUT Centre, contact​