School Policy & Advisory Guide
Excursions and Activities
An excursion is an activity organised by a school (not including work experience) during which students leave the school grounds to engage in educational activities (including camps and sport). Adventure activities are included in this definition (regardless of whether they occur outside the school grounds or not).
Principals are responsible for the conduct of all excursions and must ensure:
- an online notification of school activity form is completed prior to the activity
- a planning and approvals process is undertaken, in accordance with Departmental policy and requirements, which takes into account the following considerations:
- venue selection
- safety, emergency and risk management
- informed consent from parents
- medical information
- appropriate staffing and supervision
- student preparation and behaviour
- requirements for any adventure activities.
Note: The regional director should be informed if an excursion leaves a school unoccupied.
The policies within this section are: